The New Year is the perfect time to start fresh with personal goals, habits, and plans. What are your resolutions for this year? People often choose goals focused on weight loss, health, organization, or career. As you are finalizing your focus for 2021, don’t neglect the thing that you show off each day: your skin.
The truth is that beautiful, glowing skin happens when you are consistent with a good skincare routine. It doesn’t matter if you want to overcome specific skincare issues or if you are born with the genetics that result in naturally beautiful skin – regular skincare is essential for the future health of your complexion.
What are your Skincare Goals?
Keep in mind that not all skin is the same, so your New Year’s resolutions might be different than your friend or coworker. The best approach is to consider your skin type, then talk with an aesthetician for personalized recommendations.
Also, define what your goals are for your skincare routine. The daily habits will differ for someone wanting to manage acne breakouts vs. a person who wants to minimize the signs of aging. Certain skincare routines can fit the needs of most people, but there are small adjustments and tweaks that can help to optimize your results.
10 New Year’s Resolutions for Healthy Skin
If you have room on your goals list this year, then consider these New Year’s resolutions that will support the health of your skin:
1. Daily Skincare Routine: Good skin starts with daily cleansing, moisturizing, and serums. When you are using the right products and consistent with your morning and evening routines, you will notice significant differences in the overall appearance of your complexion.
2. Always Wear Sunscreen: Add a good sunscreen to your daily skincare routine to protect against UV damage. Sun protection is the most critical step you can take to slow the aging process and maintain youthful skin for as long as possible. It doesn’t matter if the sun is shining or it’s a cloudy day – always wear sunscreen!
3. Drink More Water: Hydration is critical to maintaining the elasticity in the skin. Additionally, drinking water can flush out toxins, helping to minimize breakouts and blemishes. How much water are you drinking each day? Stick with water instead of soda and sugary drinks for the best results. Hydration can improve the appearance of your skin and support overall health as well.
4. Weekly Self Care: What is one thing you can do each week to support the health of your skin? Schedule time for self-care when you can put on your favorite mask and read a book. Talk to your aesthetician to choose the best product that supports your target skincare goals.
5. Nutrients and Diet: Eating the right foods can help you create healthy skin from the inside out. Eat a diet rich in antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables. These antioxidants help to fight free radical damage, which can have a positive impact to slow aging. Other vital nutrients for skincare include healthy fats and collagen to promote good cell turnover.
6. Cut Back on Sugar: In addition to including healthy foods in your meal plan, also be proactive about avoiding foods that can irritate your skin. Blood sugar imbalances affect hormones, which can result in breakouts. Stay away from sugar and alcohol, especially if you are trying to manage breakouts.
7. Clean your pillowcases: If you aren’t consistent with washing your bedding, then add this activity to your weekly to-do list. Sleeping on a clean pillowcase is essential to prevent breakouts and protect the delicate skin on your face. It’s common for impurities and skin oils to collect on the fabric of the pillowcase, which is why you need to be consistent in washing the bedding regularly.
8. Don’t Pick: It’s tempting to pop pimples when the blemishes show up. But the habit of picking causes discoloration and scarring, especially when it’s a regular practice. Be proactive to avoid touching your face, and find ways to develop the self-control needed to stop picking at your pimples.
9. Regular Exfoliation: A good exfoliation helps remove dead skin cells and other impurities on the skin’s surface. Choose an at-home exfoliation routine to follow once a week, such as a deep exfoliating scrub.
10. Quarterly Skincare Appointments: Make it a priority to visit your aesthetician at least once a quarter – or more often if you want to be aggressive with your skincare goals. When you combine professional services with a routine at home, you can achieve the lasting results that you desire.
Not only should you set the intention to take better care of your skin this year, but be proactive about writing down your goals. One good strategy is to choose one skincare goal each month. Write it on a Post-it and put the plan up on the bathroom mirror. This daily reminder will help you stay on track with your goal. Over time, the goals become habits, and you can continue adding new skincare goals to optimize your overall routine.
Personalized Skincare Recommendations
Chatting with an aesthetician is one of the best ways to identify the most effective steps for your skincare routine. This expert advice goes beyond the marketing messages of common skincare products. You can ask questions, learn about your skin type, and determine the best products and procedures to achieve your goals.
The benefit of working with an aesthetician is that you can address current concerns and needs while also integrating a treatment plan that helps with long-term goals as well. Remember, your current skincare habits will have an undeniable effect on the quality of your skin in the future. If you want to age gracefully, then it starts with the habits and routines that you are establishing now.
At Mosaic Med Spa, our team is committed to helping you feel confident in your skin. If you would like help with your skincare routine for 2021, then schedule a visit or call us to learn more about available services: (703) 204-2773.